Mobile Crisis Outreach Team
StarCare’s highly trained and dedicated Mobile Crisis Outreach Team (MCOT) provides intervention and assessment for appropriate interventions and resolutions 24/7 to people suffering from a mental health crisis.
Like any other health crisis, it’s important to address a mental health emergency quickly and effectively. With mental health conditions, crises can be difficult to predict because, often, there are no warning signs. Mental health crises can occur even when treatment plans have been followed and mental health professionals are involved. Unfortunately, unpredictability is the nature of mental illness.
Warning Signs of a Mental Health Crisis:
- Inability to perform daily tasks: bathing, brushing teeth, brushing hair, changing clothes
- Rapid mood swings, increased energy level, inability to stay still, pacing: suddenly depressed, withdrawn; suddenly happy or calm after period of depression
- Increased agitation: verbal threats, violent, out-of-control behavior, destroys property
- Abusive behavior to self and others, including substance use or self-harm (such as cutting)
- Isolation from school, work, family, friends
- Loses touch with reality (psychosis): unable to recognize family or friends, confused, strange ideas, thinks they’re someone they’re not, doesn’t understand what people are saying, hears voices, sees things that aren’t there
- Paranoia: suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification
Mental Health Crisis De-escalation Strategies
- Speak in a calm voice
- Avoid telling the person to calm down
- Express support
- Offer options
- Do not touch the person without permission
- Suggest the person go for a walk or go to their safe place
Never be afraid to ask someone if they need help or what thoughts they are having.
The worst thing you can do is do nothing.
When Facing Crisis,
Our Team Is Here For You
24/7 Crisis Help Line:
Crisis Intervention Services
Referral for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Monday-Friday – 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Referral can be made when police, medical or psychiatric services are not indicated.
For Questions or More Information
Local Crisis Contact Numbers
Child/Adult Abuse Hotline
Children’s Crisis Line
Lubbock Suicide Hotline
TTU Psychology Clinic